Thursday 25 February 2010

Training Update

So the months and weeks are counting down to what should be an interesting cup competition. Few teams have pulled out and a couple of teams have lost core players so it will be interesting to see how it will all pan out.

As I tick off another month from my season preparation, I thought it would be a good time to review where I am in terms of fitness and overall feel, which is something I have not done for a while.

This month I have worked on strength training with a programme that consists of the following exercises:

Day 1:
Bench press 4 sets
Incline bench press 4 sets
Seated Military press 4 sets
Good mornings 4 sets
Close Grip Pull downs 4 sets
Leg curls 5 sets

Day 2:
Squats 5 sets
Deadlift 5 sets
Reverse curl 5 sets
Hammer Curls 4 sets
Tricep Kickback 4 sets
Preacher curls 4 sets

Where I find Day 2 harder, it is also more enjoyable as it gets a good sweat going.

My body weight had gone up and I have managed to gain all of the bulk that I lost during the appendectomy and the inactivity it caused.

On the ice I feel faster and stronger, though I’m being overly cautious as I’m breaking in new skates and I haven’t quite gotten used to them yet.

Performance wise, I feel faster and I think one area that has improved more than most is that I am difficult to move away from a screen in front of the goal. All in all I am positive about my progress.

Things to work on:

Need to start speed, agility and quickness (SAQ) exercises and dedicate more time over the weekends to training. Also I need to get on the bike more and make sure I do some low impact cardio work to make sure I further improve my stamina.

No comments: